Saturday, May 21, 2016

Schwiegermutter

My heart is reticent

I did not reach for you as I ought

My heart is a coward,
unable to express or open the passageway

Your life was a story of hurt,
the depth evaded my grasp,
and I could not reach in without
feeling I did not belong in your china shop

My heart is sensitive

Your life was also a story of triumph
clawed into the mountainside
higher than those placed before me

My heart is proud

The time I needed was not given to me
it frightened me too much to hasten
and I deigned to seem pressured,
less than perfect in my intentions

You were not robbed of anything
though I robbed myself

You will know it when the veil parts
though it does not absolve me

I can only hope that my heart will be a book to you
though it will probably be too late to matter

I love you, Regina
          though I don't know how to

No comments:

Post a Comment